Wanderlusting
   
Friday, March 21, 2008
The Search Begins
Being black isn't something that happened overnight. I didn't wake up one day, look in the mirror and see a black person. For 23 years, I've lived my life with brown skin, curly black hair and a broad nose.

My skin color and hair texture might seem like a strange topic for my first blog entry, but I wanted to make something clear: this blog will talk about being black, living black, and seeing the world through a black woman's eyes. I don't consider myself that different from my non-black friends, family and colleagues, but it wouldn't be fair to me or anyone else to ignore the fact that my experiences have been and will continue to be shaped by my skin color and culture.

With that said:

The search for jobs in Indonesia (and, for safe jobs in S. Korea) has begun! My sister, the lovely Black Girl in Indonesia will be sending her CV out to at least 2 companies today, to judge the response. Some others have asked for a photo, and while many potential ESL teachers wouldn't cringe at the thought of supplying one, for me, there's always a slight hesitation because I know, 95% of the time, the photo along with the application, will go into the trash. C'est la vie, of course. It makes finding that 5% all the more enjoyable.

I've been reading blogs about black American women living and working in Asia, specifically Japan (where I once spent a year as an undergrad) and South Korea. Check out the sidebar for their websites.

Until next time.

Labels: , , , , , ,

posted by Keigh @ 2:17 PM  
1 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
Welcome to Wanderlusting
  • the often erratic thoughts of a girl obsessed with countries, cultures and the cosmos. enjoy your stay, however brief, however long.
  • The History of It All
    The Road Traveled--now with more wanderlusting!!
    I Thought You Might Like These
    Powered by

    Blogger Templates

    BLOGGER