Wanderlusting
   
Sunday, June 29, 2008
Tourist or General?
I will be calling the Japanese consulate in Detroit tomorrow to figure out exactly what visa would be best for me. I would like to get a General Visa, which lasts for one year but if that is not possible, I will just have to get a 3 month tourist visa and try to figure out a way to change that to a General Visa.

Hopefully the embassy workers will be helpful, and immigration will be kind, but if it's anything like Mexican immigration, I know I'm in for a lot of red tape and excruciating headaches.

Labels: , , , ,

posted by Keigh @ 8:17 PM  
2 Comments:
  • At July 03, 2008 8:55 AM, Blogger Taro 3Yen.com said…

    The "general visa" is a new one to me and I have been living in Japan as an alien for 20+ years.

    Expect to receive a 3-month tourist visa that you can renew the an additional 3 months, no sweat. Then, if you please the Immigration Drones with proof of a large bank account, you can get additional 3 months, which will be a total 9 months. After that, you could throw a lot money at the problem at get a "business visa" or find a Japanese business to sponsor your work visa.

    Bottom Line: Expect a stay of six months here in the Land-of-Concrete(tm).

    Taro,
    http://news.3yen.com/

     
  • At July 09, 2008 11:59 AM, Blogger Keigh said…

    Thanks Taro!

    Immigration corrected me. It's not a "general visa" but the "cultural visa" (under the "general" heading) that I would be looking at.

    But I'm going to try to see if I can scurry up a job before I go, which is likely, and that will pretty much solve my issue.

     
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
Welcome to Wanderlusting
  • the often erratic thoughts of a girl obsessed with countries, cultures and the cosmos. enjoy your stay, however brief, however long.
  • The History of It All
    The Road Traveled--now with more wanderlusting!!
    I Thought You Might Like These
    Powered by

    Blogger Templates

    BLOGGER